Sunday, February 19, 2012

Poetry night

We had a fabulous ward activity this weekend full of creativity. It was open mic night and everyone was free to make up whatever poetry they wanted. I'll admit, I was doubtful that this would be any fun, but it really was awesome. There was a hot chocolate bar (I didn't get a picture but just imagine the most amazing hot chocolate bar and you've got it), doughnuts, a guitarist and drummer to provide background music to get our creative juices flowing, and a drummer to play ever so subtle beats and add emphasis to lines while you read your poetry.

Oh, and instead of applauding after a reading, we snapped our fingers to keep the subdued mood that should permeate a poetry reading. We were a cultured bunch.

The two things I could remember about poetry was iambic pentameter (and I can't even remember what that means...something with a beat of 5?), and limerick (and I couldn't remember how many lines it had). Thankfully they had a little tutorial, so you weren't totally lost in coming up with some poetry to read.
I only wrote one poem. I mostly played with Brayden and gawked over how much I think my baby pictures look like Lily.
My haiku went like this - remember a haiku has 5 syllables, then 7, then 5.
I clean teeth all day.
I inject the tough patients.
Clean your teeth today.

My favorite haiku of the evening was a throwback to the 80's.

The 80's are gone.
No more big hair and tie-dye.
I pity da fool!


It was such a creative idea. If you are in charge of planning an activity in your ward, I recommend Poetry Night.

No comments: