Thursday, March 1, 2012

Delish!

I've been eating incredibly healthy the past 3 weeks - more about that later - but I made this yummy tomato and orange salad last night with some baked tilapia. It was divine!Tomato and Orange Salad:
2 pints grape, cherry or sungold tomatos, halved crosswise
1 small shallot, minced (I used part of an onion)
~ zest of orange
2 tsp. fresh squeezed orange juice (from the orange you just zested)
1/3 cup olive oil (I used less)
1 Tbs. red wine vinegar (I used balsamic vinegar)
2 Tbs. fresh basil, chopped (I used the dried stuff)
~ salt and pepper to taste
1 bag arugula, washed (next time I make this I'm going to use spinach)

1. Place all tomatoes in large mixing bowl.
2. Add shallots and orange zest.
3. Using potato masher, mash tomatoes so they release their juices.
4. Stir in orange juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper.
5. Serve on top of arugula.

2 comments:

smalltowngirl said...

Looks so good. Can't wait to try it! I'm so jealous of all your snow shoeing. Steve and I have been wanting to try it.

jane s said...

I can't follow the recipe any better than you! Sungold tomatoes - check! shallot - I used a bunch of green onions. Didn't have an orange so zested a lemon & used all the juice. What do you do w/ half a lemon??? Drizzled olive oil - 13/ c seems like I would drown in it =/ Yup, balsamic rather than red wine vinegar. Fresh cilantro rather than basil, & I served it over kale & red cabbage! Very tasty, very pretty! Thanks =)