Saturday, August 8, 2009

Plantation Station

Oak Alley Plantation
The most educational as well as breath taking expedition I've been on in the south, was visiting 2 plantations. They are exquisite homes...I mean mansions, with an amazing history. The first plantation we visited was Oak Alley. (Click to see more!) It is one of the more famous plantations with it 28 evenly spaced oak trees that span 1/4 mile out to the Mississippi. On top of that, the trees are 300 yrs old! The house was gorgeous but unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pictures inside. Oak Alley was a plantation with slaves and there was a plaque dedicated to those that worked on the plantation. It's crazy to think that only 150 yrs ago it was legal to "own" another human.

The oaks that form the alley.
View of Oak Alley from the 'ssippi

Supermom Jen...taking pic with the babe

Kristen and Sydney

Sydney keeping me company
Back of the Oak Alley mansion
Cute Ellie
Mister W being cute too!
The crew...Oak Alley in the background.

The second plantation we spontaneously visited was called Nottoway Plantation. (Click to see more!) This place was a castle and Jen and I are going to move there! It was built right before the civil war and had running water...it was cutting edge! We missed the last tour by 15 min and I was so sad. Oak Alley was amazing but Nottoway was off the chain!! I was dumbfounded by the outside so I can only imagine how great it would have been to tour the inside!

Nottoway Plantation

Side view

Dinner bell ?

Jen and I will be rocking in these chairs again...mark my words

The other side of Nottoway

Beautiful grounds

Huge Oak

P.S. We've moved to Houston.

5 comments:

The Stones said...

I am loving your summer adventures! Keep them coming! Miss you!

Suzy said...

Wow! Those places looked amazing! You all look like you are having a great time too. Miss you guys:0)

jane s said...

Thanks for traveling and sharing! We're getting to see places and share in your life at the same time! No 9 foot snow drifts at those plantations during a wedding reception, huh?

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

What fun adventures you are having!! I love reading your blog!

Kera said...

so cool. we need to catch up!!! call me.