Monday, December 7, 2009

Catching up...happenings on Nov. 7th

I always seem to be playing catch up in the blogging/journaling area of my life. It seems I have to do those, "Here is what happened last month" posts. To keep with that tradition, here is what happened exactly 1 month ago.

Tricia and I ran in our 1st 1/2 marathon! (Waiting for the bus to take us to the start)
Tricia and I ran track at UVU for the one semester I ran. (She actually knew Shane from the MTC before she and I made aquaintance.) Tricia is a stud, and we rekindled our friendship after years of being apart by deciding to run the Snow Canyon 1/2 Marathon.
(Our chips to get extremely accurate times on our race)
Niether she nor I trained like we needed to for a 1/2 marathon. (Tricia is a 5k runner, and I was usually running about 6 miles and right before the race I ran 9 miles.) Despite our lack of training, we decided to forget about logic and run anyway.
(Right after we finished. Tricia looks so refreshed, and I look like I want to die!)
We were hoping to run a 9 min mile. It ended up we ran a 7:58 mile pace and came in 33rd and 34th out of 501 women. We were so stoked (and very tired)! To add some icing to the cake, I took 3rd place in the 20-24 year old division. Tricia took 10th in her age division of 25-30. (That age group is fast!!)

(Showing off after we raced.)
There is no way I would have run 13.1 miles as fast as we did without Tricia. I wanted to slow down and stop near the end, but she kept pushing us forward. We were wishing we had trained a little more b/c we would have won the whole thing...maybe not, but we did pretty well considering we were under trained.(The Whole Crew.)
Tricia's parents ran the 5k and both took first in their age divisions!
(Tricia and her super awesome and cute parents.)
Tricia and I also went to the St. George Temple and did initiatories later that day. Niether one of us had been to the St. George Temple so it was neat to see the grounds and go inside.

(The always fun and somewhat awkward self photo.)

I'm certainly no masochist so I'm not going to say I enjoyed every min of the weekend (there were some times during the race I was wondering why I paid money to run 13.1 miles) but I had a great time and felt a huge sense of accomplishment. Many have asked if marathons are in my future...the answer is NO! I'm not saying never but I certainly don't have any ambitions in that department. I'm game for another 1/2 though!!

4 comments:

Angie said...

Wow! Go you! That is awesome! I cannot believe you ran that fast having not fully trained. Seriously. I am amazed. The farthest I ran in training was 10 and when I hit mile 11 in the race I was DYING. And I feel exactly the same as you about ever doing a full: NO. WAY. I am completely satisfied with a half and have no desire to torture myself for an extra 13.1 miles on top of that. I can't even imagine how people really do that!
Anyway. Congrats. You're awesome.

Cathy said...

I am so proud of you...just wish I had run with you...although I guess we wouldn't have been running together! Sheesh you are so stinkin' fast! Congratulations and it was fun to run into you today!

The Stones said...

You are AMAZING! I could have told you that you were going to kick butt! Geez your fast!

Elsie said...

Great work Jo. We actually know Trisha and her family, they are in our home ward in Highlands Ranch, CO. Great family, I always loved Bro. Lennberg, he taught my sunday school class for a long time! Small world!