Tuesday, March 16, 2010

F.H.E. - Female Hair Endeavour

I have incredibly thick hair. I'm not bragging, it's just the way it is. My hair is so thick that it has become self aware and has been lovingly named Mumphrey by Courtney (who happens to write some pretty entertaining posts if I do say so myself).
Mumphrey doesn't just have lots of hairs, he (Courtney says it's a he) also has a nasty wave in the back. (See the hideous picture below.) Due to the thickness and the wave, it takes me 15-20 min to blow dry Mumphrey and then 30-40 min to flat iron him. Yes folks, we are looking at an hour to get Mumphrey all ready. (I'm not complaining, I'm just stating the facts.)

I usually do my hair the night before and "freshen up" in the morning, but last night I really didn't want to flat iron my hair. I asked Shane if he would. He agreed. I laughed pretty much the entire time - not at his flat ironing skills (b/c he actually is really good at it) but at his comments and facial expressions through the entire process.I use product to protect my locks, but I had too much in a spot so when Shane ran the flat iron over it, steam came up from my hair. Shane got a worried look on his face, leaned forward and sniffed the steam. He was afraid my hair was catching on fire b/c it was so hot.

What a lovely job...too bad he still had 3 more sections to go!


In order to flat iron my hair, I have to divide my hair into 7 or 8 sections. Shane had been working for about 10 min and finished the 4th section. He thought we were done. When I let down the next section that I had been hiding on the top of my head, a look of depression swept across his face. He looked up at me and sadly asked, "We aren't done?" Nope...only half way there buddy!

I swear there were so many more funny things Shane said, and did with the entire Female Hair Endeavour. I just texted him to have him remind me. He says all he remembers is that his fingers got burnt and it took forever. Poor fella.

Shane really was a great sport about the whole thing. He said he now appreciates what I do to do my hair, and he was even asking me questions about permanently straightening my hair so I don't have to endure this routine. (If any of you know info on permanently straightening hair I'd love to hear it!)

Shane did a great job and just to add some flair, he put a little outward flip in my hair.

Thanks Shane for giving me the night off!

8 comments:

Kera said...

wow. i never knew you were so high maintenance Jo. or should i say "mumphry" is high maintenance. i would probably shave my head, but your hair is so pretty, i don't recommend that outcome.

Jer said...

Okay, I'm going to stop complaining about my stick-straight hair from now on. I guess I have it pretty easy... :)

smalltowngirl said...

I'm impressed! My husband would never try and tackle that. Once he complained about the cost of getting my hair colored, so he attempted to do it. Needless to say, he doesn't say anything anymore.

Angie said...

I had no idea your hair required so much work!! Somehow that makes me think it's even more beautiful than I already did. :) I also think that every husband should have to do his wife's hair at least once. Then he will appreciate what you do every day! And I must say, Shane did a great job!

You can chemically (semi-permanently) straighten your hair, you knew that right? It's like getting a perm... but straight. I'm sure you could find a salon that would do it for you! I have no idea how much it costs but I'd assume it would be similar to getting a perm.

I forgot you knew Courtney. I know her through Calle. Her blog is hilarious!

Kara and Cody Markham said...

:) i love it!! Shane did a great job, i personally love the flip, lol.
About the permanent straightening....The salon I work at just got a new product in and its AMAZING. It does a really good job. Call me if you want to know more about it

Heidi said...

Like your post. That's funny you had Shane do your hair.

Andrea said...

haha...that's about how much time I spend trying to get my hair to curl...i love that your hair has a name!
you'll have to come to our blog and check out pictures of Brooklyn (cause that's basically all we put up) Maybe we could swap her for Kita for a day or two... :)
alliswells.blogdns.com

Suzy said...

Cute pictures you can look back on! my sister-n-law had her hair straightened at a salon-totally a believer-not sure how long it lasts though.