Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pioneer Day Activities

I've never been in Utah on Pioneer Day. Having grown up in Colorado I didn't really know what to expect for this Mormon/Utah Holiday. What do you do to celebrate the pioneers? I'm still not entirely sure how to celebrate their legacy, but I did enjoy the holiday and the festivities of it.

Morning
We started the day at the Taste of the Valley where restaurants from around the valley came down to center street and gave out samples.Our friend, Camellia Rowland put this entire event on and was generous enough to get us tickets! I can't image the planning that went into this event.

The samples weren't your typical Costco samples of a chunk of cheese on a toothpick. NO, these samples were meals! Cafe Paesan gave out this scrumptious sample. YUM!
We got to go with our besties, Cami and Taylor. Love these two!
Evening
Last minute Shane and I heard there would be fireworks in Spanish Fork so we literally dropped everything and ran out the door to get there before the festivities started. Since we ran out the door, we didn't think to bring chairs, blankets, water, wear nicer clothes, put on make up, etc. We just jumped in the car and drove.
No make up. Sorry.
Due to the lack of chairs, the trunk seemed like a good alternative. My trunk is tiny so there wasn't enough room for all 3 of us. Kita got bumped to the roof.
We got Kita howling since the moon was placed ever so perfectly. AWROOO!!

In case you were wondering what Kita sounds like when she howls, here is a clip.


How do you get a dog off of the roof of a car without her scratching the paint? Well, you have her jump into your arms. Hello big puppy! I was laughing hysterically at this moment!
Kylie and Ryan rescued us. They had a blanket and nice spot on a baseball field for us to watch the show from. Why didn't I take a picture of our rescuers?
And then there were fireworks. It was a fun holiday!

4 comments:

The Stones said...

Awesome! I've never heard of the Taste of the Valley. Where's that I totally want to go next year!

Alyssa/Jo said...

It's at the old courthouse in Provo right off of Center Street. It was awesome! Only $10 for lots of great food and a killer atmosphere.

Andrea said...

So fun! $10 seems like it would TOTALLY be worth it for some great food!

Angie said...

Hey, we went to Taste of the Valley too! It was so fun! We were there at like 1:00 though. Dang, we missed you! But yes it was so fun! I love Pioneer Day. It's an excuse to do more Fourth of July type celebrations, like fireworks!