Monday, November 15, 2010

Fall Planting

There 2 flower beds in the front of our house. I've grown tired of one flower bed being so over grown that only a few of the flowers actually produce flowers, and the other bed having zero flowers in it. With a little compost, some manual labor, and some new bulbs and pansies I'm thinking we will have 2 beautiful flower beds next year!

The city has a green dump where you can dump grass clippings, leaves, trees, etc. They turn it into compost and for $10 we got a truck load of it.
Shane was a stud to help me with my project. It certainly was time consuming.
It took an entire Saturday to pull everything out of the overgrown flower bed and then another Saturday to plant everything. I was so grateful the weather held out for me.

Before we planted but after I pulled all the flowers out. It was really ugly. I wish I had taken a picture so you could see the ugliness.

After

Aren't these pansies lovely? They survive the winter and bloom again in the summer. Whoever thought to use the name "pansy" as someone who is weak certainly didn't know much about these flowers.
Before
After
The after pictures were taken several days after planting. I wanted to take pictures right after they were planted so there wouldn't be leaves in the flower bed but I ran out of sunlight. I was out planting pansies and bulbs with a head lamp and a halogen light. I'm sure the neighbors were a little perturbed. I had a friend plant her garden by head lamp light and her neighbor killed her garden with plant killer b/c she thought she was planting weed. HAHAHA!

As far as bulbs go I planted tulips iris and crocus.I'm pretty excited to see how it all turns out.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

OH MY GOSH! I can't wait until I have a garden. It sounds like your garden will be absolutely gorgeous! cant wait to see pictures!

Brittany Noelle Scott said...

I wish I would have planted bulbs for the spring! I've wanted to do that for two years now!

Can't wait for our craft date on Thurs!! What time did we decide on??

Andrea said...

I'm putting in iris too! hoping the rain holds off tomorrow so I can actually dig up the front bed and do it!
Miss your face...

Courtney said...

I am sick of Kita.