Friday, January 21, 2011

bringing people together

My grandpa passed away 3 weeks ago. It was sad, but in all honesty, I'm glad he was released from this world. My grandpa had been blind for many many years, and his health had deteriorated significantly. It really was a blessing for him to pass on because as my mom put it, "Now he can see."

It's interesting that my grandpa's passing allowed me the incredibly unique opportunity to see someone I hadn't seen in 17 years. My sister Yvonne is 13 years older than me and when I was the ripe old age of 5 she was 18 and moving out of the house. I don't have many memories of her (I was only 5!) but the ones I do have are close to my heart.

I was her littlest sister, and my impressionable mind was eager to soak up anything from her.

Yvonne had magical powers. She could make traffic lights change at her command. I would try and try to get the light to turn green but they only changed when she said, "I want the light to change...NOW!" And they would! I would beg her to teach me how to do it but she never did. My imagination ran wild, and I became convinced that there were little midget men who lived in the traffic lights that changed the lights with the flip of light switch when they heard her voice. Sometimes I wish there really were midget men who lived in the traffic lights. It makes sitting at a traffic light enjoyable.

Yvonne babysat Andi, Valarie, and me quite a bit. She probably hated it. Maybe not. I was pretty cute when I was young. I remember eating green macaroni and cheese for dinner when my parents left her in charge. That was gross. Do all older sisters freak out their younger siblings with this awful trick? Even after she told me it was food coloring it still tasted goofy.

I've wondered if it was Yvonne who got me into soccer. She started it all. From what I hear, she was a great player and she even played in goal at times. It's fun to think about the fact that she played on the same field that I would play on 13 years later.

My fondest memory is a nickname. "Buttercup." That's what Yvonne called me. I was her buttercup.
It seems I've missed out on a lot with Yvonne. I wish I had more memories. In fact, I've missed out on my nieces too. I met my oldest niece, Tasha, when she was a baby. (Obviously I haven't seen her since.) I have yet to meet my other 3 nieces Saira, Tami, and Jeni.

It's crazy to think it's been 17 years. When we did see each other we only had 5 min together. (Long story) We hugged and I definitely cried.

This experience made me realize the importance of being sealed. After many years and only a few memories, I was so grateful to see Yvonne and be with her. I can add this moment in my life to my list of reasons why I know the church is true and how much I love my family.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Such a sweet post and such cute stories. I love the fact that she put food coloring in your mac and cheese. What a fun sister! I have a sister who is 10 years older than me but I was totally scared of her when I was a kid. She was super mean to me, but then again, I wasn't a cute kid like you!

Alyssa/Jo said...

Lindsay you are so funny! I love you and miss you - am I allowed to miss someone I never got to hang out with?

Tyson and Taylor Beaman said...

that is really neat. I loved reading your blog. It made me tear up. The gospel is pretty great isn't it. I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa but I am glad that he can see again.

Kera said...

wow. definitely something i didn't know about you. where does she live?

jane s said...

Getting to be a mom (especially of you =) is truly a blessing! Maybe some day we'll get family get-together's coordinated so all of you girls can be "home" at the same time?!!??!!

M said...

That's awesome that you got to see her! I didn't realize you had another sister. I'm worried that my younger brothers won't have many memories with me since the youngest was a year old when I moved away. Any suggestions you can give me on how to build a connection would be much appreciated.

Again, thanks for sharing this post. Family is so special.

Unknown said...

Ahh my little Buttercup how I've missed you! I am glad I got to see this post! Love and miss you and don't forget the Airplane go boink! And Swing on the vines like a monkey!