Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mustache Party

It seems that 'staches have gone the way of the ground,
But for one night in March, they did abound!
My incredibly creative and awesome friend Lindsay threw a mustache party in her adorable apartment in NY. I read about it on her blog, and I decided it needed to be copied and done here in UT.

As I was planning this lovely event there were many who wondered what a mustache party was and what the purpose behind it was. I have no idea myself, but when I saw the pictures on Lindsay's blog I became obsessed with planning this event.

There is A TON of stuff about this party that I copied exactly from Lindsay. (Don't worry - I asked her permission first.) Lucky for me, I had Shane and Etsy to give some added touches that were uniquely "Markham."We had an army of cupcakes, and cream cheese with Raspberry Chipotle sauce for our Wheat Thins. It was Shane's creative genius that came up with the idea to have pistachios and cashews only we called them "Mustachios" and "Stachews."

Activities included:
- Take your 'stache photos here
- Name that 'stache
- Pin the 'stache on Burt Reynolds
- "A movie with cool 'staches." We watched, "The Princess Bride" (there are so many classic staches in that movie)
- Enjoying feeling awkward about getting to know people while having a fake mustache attached to your upper lip.
I searched and searched for the perfect grand prize gift for whoever could name the most 'staches. It wasn't until I got Shane in the mix that we found the perfect prize - A mustache tote. Of course! Justin Fernandes named 17 out of 21 famous 'staches to win the grand prize.

We also had prizes for "Pin the 'stache on Burt Reynolds" and who Shane and I felt pulled the 'stache off the best. The smooth feel after using Gillette Shave Gel was the perfect prize...at least I thought so.
Brent got Burt's 'stache closest to his upper lip.

At times you didn't know that Jeff's 'stache was fake, so he won "Best Worn 'Stache"

The 'staches had a way of finding their way off of the upper lip and onto more comfortable locations. We joked that the girls should make sure to rip the mustache off quickly so we could get our waxing taken care of.
There so many great pictures from the night. I posted most of them - I just couldn't decide which ones not to post!
There were so many people that couldn't make it that we've had a request to have a mustache party on a quarterly basis...I'm all for it! (Maybe someone else could throw it though - I'm still recovering from all the fun.) Better yet, maybe Lindsay will think up another great party idea and let me copy her!

7 comments:

Kara and Cody Markham said...

Fun!!! I want to go to a Mustache party;) It looks like if turned out great, with lots of yummy food.
Cant wait to see you and Shane in a few weeks! Hope things are going great!

Tyson and Taylor Beaman said...

If you do it again, invite us! Sounds like so much fun!

Mike & Britt said...

That is hilarious! What a great party, you should be a party planner, that's a lot of work (: You're awesome!

Lindsay said...

Um....your party was AWESOME!!!! I LOVED the stache trees and your prizes! You totally pulled off a WAY cooler party than i did!!! Way to go!! Come on..your turn to think of a party and I will copy you! You are much more creative!

Alyssa/Jo said...

You are too kind Lindsay! I stole everything from someone else! Shane gave me ideas, my big sister in DH school gave me ideas, and then ETSY. Nothing came from my brain. I will try to think up a new party for you to copy - that would be the ultimate compliment for you to copy me. Love ya!

smalltowngirl said...

Love it! Looks like so much fun and motivates me to try and throw a fun party.

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

What a fun idea! I might have to steal it.

Funny thing I noticed- it was obviously a party with tons of mormons because no one in your pictures actually had a real mustache.