Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sweet Dr. Ord

This is Dr. Ord. He was my instructor for Dental Materials and Oral Pathology. I think the world of him - not because his classes require less studying - but because he truly lives the gospel and taught me an important lesson about about what it means to be a disciple of Christ at all times.

I've had an infection in my leg for almost a year and it wasn't until 4-5 months ago that I did anything about it. The infection started small, and I didn't even notice it. Over time it grew and grew until it covered nearly all of the front of my lower left leg.

I went to the doctor at UVU, (she is the coolest English-woman who makes you feel so special b/c she calls you a "dear" and "doll.") and she said it was a fungal infection. (I had presumably picked it up when a cleat from an opponent broke the skin on my leg during an indoor game.) She gave me some anti-fungal creme that I was instructed to put on in the morning and evening. (My evening routine required that I wrap my leg with saran wrap so the creme could soak in.) I figured it would clear up in a week or two. Nothing changed.

I went back to the doctor 2 months later to see if my healing should take that long. The doctor kept me on the creme but prescribed anti-fungal pills as well. I was the perfect patient since I made sure I took the pills at the same time each day and used the creme diligently. Another month went by and my leg went from bad to worse.

I went back to the doctor. The moment she saw my leg she got a concerned look and said, "You poor dear, that's not a fungus anymore. That's a staph infection." Oh great! I went from a fungus to staph. (At that point I was wracking my brain trying to remember everything I had learned in microbiology about staph. Yeah - it's nasty!) She prescribed me antibiotics and I went on my way.

Those antibiotics made me incredibly drowsy. It was tough to take them 4 times a day b/c the moment I started to get my energy back, it was time for another dose. Sweet Dr. Ord noticed I wasn't being my normal Jo-self and asked what was the matter. I told him my story and guess what the first thing he said to me was...It wasn't "I'm sorry" or "I hope you feel better." Instead he asked me two questions, "Is your name in the temple? Have you had your home teachers come give you a blessing?"

I nearly lost it right then and there. What an sweet man to be so genuinely concerned for me that he immediately inquired if I had called upon the Lord to help! On top of all that he followed up with me everyday to see how I was doing.

I know this gospel is true b/c a man who is supposed to teach me all about the diseases that show up in the mouth was brave enough to ask me two important questions. He taught me that the Lord cares about every part of me. I'm grateful he taught me more than just oral pathology this semester. He taught me to call upon the Lord in all things and trust in his power.

2 comments:

M said...

That's a great story Jo. I was impressed with him for the brief time we talked. [Plus he's Army so we had a great connection. ;) ]

Angie said...

Awwww, sweet Dr Ord. I love that guy. Thanks for sharing this sweet story and your testimony! This makes me miss Utah where everyone is LDS and talks openly about the church. It's so unifying, I love it.