Monday, October 24, 2011

New York


Thanks to excellent timing with a work trip for Shane and my Fall Break, we were able to visit the Big Apple. I loved the city, the bustle, public transportation, and seeing a whole different way of living.





I got in at 5:45am on Thursday. (Thank you JetBlue for the red eye. I really didn't want to waste any precious moment of my fall break traveling.) I took the subway to the hotel (which was much easier than I thought) and promptly took a nap. My friend, Robyn, who has been in the city for a month since her husband has been doing training for his job, met up with me and we visited Lady Liberty.






The 9/11 memorial was a solemn experience. It was a temple of sorts in the middle of the busy city. People spoke in hushed tones and you could feel the sacredness of where you stood. It was moving to stand in the exact spot where the country's eyes watched in horror as the events of that day unfolded. They are continuing to work on the museum in the memorial. I would love to go back when that is open. I'm sure I will need kleenex to make it through.













Friday morning I had to myself since Shane was in classes. I explored the financial district with great delight. I loved seeing hundreds of Asians taking pictures in front of landmarks. I made sure to take a picture of them. I found the people occupying wall street. They are a devoted bunch. So many tourists were taking pictures of them. They didn't seem to mind. My favorite discovery was of Trinity and St. Paul's churches. I enjoy history and the stories that go along with it. I even stumbled upon the grave of Alexander Hamilton's grave. I love the building in the picture above. It is nestled in between all the skyscrapers. It's buildings like this that remind me that Manhattan used to be farm land and that people used to live so simply.









I really wanted to see a large portion of Central Park. We wanted to make sure people knew we were tourists so we rented a bike. A tandem bike. Oh and I had my camera out the entire time snapping photos as we biked. We laughed during most of the ride b/c Shane would ask true cyclists if they wanted to race, the shifting of the gears would nearly cause me to fall off, and just the hilarity of us on a tandem in Central Park kept us rolling. It is such a blessing to have that park in an overcrowded city. I bet it is what makes New York livable to some people.


We made sure to see the temple and Julliard along with the Lincoln center. We were even able to serve in the temple there. One lady thought I was a temple worker here since I knew just what to do. I told her I wasn't but that I am a regular patron. I guess I never realized that even in the U.S. there are places where people can only attended here and there. It is such a blessing to have a temple so close.

My favorite part of the entire trip was the evening we got to spend with Angie and Klane, and Lindsay and Pat. I love to travel (don't get me wrong) but great friends can't be beat. The funny thing is, Angie and I have only seen each other a handful of times and Lindsay and I have never hung out previous to that night. Blogging is what allowed me to better get to know these incredible women and develop a friendship with them that made it possible to show up and act as if we had known each other since high school. It was a wonderful evening!

Lindsay and Pat have a hairless cat. His name is Montee. I really, really wanted to meet him. Don't you? He lived up to everything I had hoped. Next time I really hope he is potty trained to use the toilet - that is cool!

I hope it is a bit warmer next time I visit. The hoodie all weekend wasn't the look I was going for but I am glad I had it!

Can't wait til the next trip!!

7 comments:

Kara and Cody Markham said...

Oh I love NY!! So fun to read about your trip. I was super exited to see you had done a post, I have missed your blogging:) Glad you guys had a good time.
Cant wait to see you in AZ in a few weeks, its going to be so fun. IM counting down the days!

smalltowngirl said...

Jealous! It looks like so much fun.

Lindsay said...

I can't wait til your next trip either! Who would have thought back in the day that we would have to wait until you came to New York to finally hang out for the first time hahah! The funny thing is it was as if we have hung out a million times before! Weird!

The Stones said...

How fun! I love NYC, it is such a fun place...to visit. I don't think I could be there for very long. You look gorgeous even in your hoodie!

Angie said...

You guys saw so much in your short time here! It was so fun to have you. I agree, Saturday night was one of the most fun nights I've had in a while! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! You guys can come back and stay anytime!

jane s said...

YAY!!! Always to fun to "travel with you & see the world thru` your eyes!" So glad to catch up, too! Fun, fun, fun! All these places to see in the world & so many great people you know. Thanks for sharing! Love you =)

The London Mum said...

I had such a great time with you guys! It's always such a pleasure to randomly see you guys in various places haha!