As of May 4th, I had never been on a cruise. At that point, Shane had been on 6. I had heard all about the 24 hr. buffets, ocean water filled pools, ordering multiple courses at dinner, hypnotists, choreographed dances at dinner, towel animals, all you can eat ice cream, amazing excursions, the rich blue color of the ocean, beds being turned down with a mint, etc. It was high time I found out what all the hype was about.
Cody, Kara, Shane and I boarded the Carnival Liberty in Miami port at 3pm on Friday, May 5th. I couldn't believe just how massive the cruise ship was. I had seen cruise ships in pictures and in port when I've been in Mexico, but to be actually walking down the gangway makes them even larger.
We crowded on with everyone else and I was clueless as to what protocol was for being on a cruise ship. Were we supposed to go to our room? Can we start eating right now? Should I put on my swimsuit? I was a lost puppy and Shane was my master b/c I was instantly overwhelmed by the fact that I was already lost on this boat. I had never fathomed being able to get lost on a boat!!!
We ended up orienting ourselves and found our way to our rooms. We got the cheapy rooms at the bottom of the ship with twin beds. (It brought back the memories of our first few months of marriage when we willingly slept in bunk beds - oh to be a newlywed again.) I was disappointed that while Cody and Kara had 2 port holes to shed some natural light in their room, Shane and I were in complete darkness - it was so not feng shui! My disappointment didn't last long because I WAS ON A CRUISE!!! It meant no more boards, no more studying, no more patients, no more stress. Just a week traveling the Caribbean with Shane. (It should be noted we were really missing not having Kylie and Ryan there...next time...next time.)
We soaked up the amazing views from the deck and pondered on what job we would need to obtain the house and yacht shown above. In true sea faring fashion, we waved at the cars driving on the road adjacent to the ship as we pulled out of port. I'm sure many an accident has happened along that stretch of road as people leaving on their vacation claim the attention of envious commuters.
There were so many places to explore on the ship as we waited for our luggage to be brought up to our room. We found a water slide, putt putt, hammocks, a shushi bar, and a life size chess set.
We all were a bit shy at the first dinner. We each ordered only one appetizer, one main course, and one dessert. I was really trying to be good. It was the very last day of my 12 week workout program and I didn't want to blow it on the last day. (I had done 1 hr. of cardio so I was feeling incredibly accomplished.) I had every intention of being relatively good through the hole week...yeah...not only was I not relatively good, I ended up cheating the entire week. It was so worth it though!
1 comment:
What a perfect way to end the school year. Love it!
Post a Comment