Back in Feb., the Markham clan headed down to Ft. Meyers, FL for our cousin's wedding. We ate fabulous food and a lot of it. I made sure to enjoy every min of eating anything and everything b/c I knew that when I got home things would change.
I wanted to get in the best shape I possibly could before leaving on our cruise in May. As luck would have it there was 13 weeks from our return from FL to our departure for the cruise.
| I have beautiful sister- in-laws. |
We got home on Tuesday Feb. 7th, but you can't start a work out program on a Tuesday. (Everyone knows you start on Monday!) So, Monday Feb. 13th marked Day 1 of my 12 weeks with Jamie Eason and her Live Fit Trainer.
| One of the few true before pics. |
I knew I was reasonably healthy and that my weight probably wouldn't fluctuate much over the 12 weeks. In order to help me stay motivated and closely track my progress, I decided to get my body fat tested. I headed over to BYU and utilized their Bod Pod. (It is a steal of a deal at $20!)
I also took measurements of my hips, waist and bust. Regretfully, I didn't take "before" pictures. (I did take "before" pictures in Feb. 2011 when Shane and I said we were going to do a workout program, but nothing ever came of that. I highly recommend if you ever do a workout program, take before pics, take measurements, AND get your body fat tested. You may not want to know where you are at when you start, but knowing where you came from makes the end result so much more rewarding!)
Bod Pod Test on Feb.23rd: Body Measurements Feb. 13th:
Total Mass (Weight) = 128.877 lbs. Hips: 33.25 "
Fat Free Mass = 104.746 lbs. Waist: 29"
Fat Mass = 24.131 lbs. Bust: 33.75"
% Fat Free Mass = 81.3%
% Fat = 18.7
Resting Metabolic Rate: 1270
(The RMR number this is the number of calories my body burns even if I stayed in bed all day)
BYU broke down the body fat percentages into 6 groupings:
>40% = Risky, High Body Fat
30.1-40% = Excess Body Fat
22.1-30% = Moderately Lean - Fat level generally acceptable for good health
18.1-22% = Lean - Lower body fat levels than many people.
15-18% = Ultra Lean - Fat levels often found in elite athletes
< 15% = Risky, Low Body Fat
I was excited to be in the Lean category, but I like a challenge, so I decided I would work to get into the Ultra Lean category and claim the title of Elite Athlete ;)
After 12 weeks, this is the result.
I realize I'm practically naked. Normally I censor my bikini photos but in this situation the results can't be seen unless you see my middle. (Wearing bikinis is one of my struggles in life but that's a discussion to be had another time.)
I followed the workouts exactly as they were outlined (the only exception
being my weekly soccer game) and ate clean 6 days a week. (Even though
the program didn't advise a cheat day, I gave myself one day to eat
whatever I wanted and however much of it I wanted - I'm glad I did!) I also tracked what I ate on Livestrong.com to make sure my daily caloric intake came close to 40% coming from carbs, 30% from protein, and 30% from healthy fats. As far as supplements goes, I take Omega-3, calcium and a daily vitamin. I also used protein shakes as a great post workout snack or just "I'm hungry and need something healthy to eat" snack. Lots of people just do workouts and never see results. (I've certainly done that before.) Eating was a HUGE part of my transformation!
Again, I'm so glad I did the Bod Pod because it would have been difficult to get to the end of 12 weeks and only see a 2 lb. drop on the scale. Thanks to the Bod Pod I know that while my overall weight didn't change much, my body composition changed dramatically!
Bod Post Test May 3rd: Body Measurements May 3rd:
Total Mass (Weight) = 127.082 lbs. Hips: 30.75 "
Fat Free Mass = 111.079 Waist: 27"
Fat Mass = 16.002 lbs Bust: 32.25"
% Fat Free Mass = 87.4 %
% Fat = 12.6%
Resting Metabolic Rate: 1329
In plain English not rounded to the thousandth, I lost 2 lbs. overall. I lost 8 lbs. of fat and gained 6 lbs. of muscle resulting in a 6.1% drop in body fat. When they say muscle burns more than fat, they aren't lying. I weight less and yet my body burns 60 more calories each day without me doing any exercise. I also lost 2.5" on my hips, 2" on my waist, and 1.5" on my bust. You may be worried that at 12.6% body fat, I now fall in the risky low body fat category. I was worried too - at first. I expected to drop a percent or 2, maybe 3 at the most. I didn't think I would drop 6%. I talked it over with the exercise majors there and did a bunch of online research. What they said, and what the internet confirmed, 10% body fat is really when they get worried and closely monitor a woman. With everybody's bodies being so different 12% might be bad for someone but not necessarily for me. In addition, the ladies there grilled me about my menstrual cycle (it's totally normal) which is a huge indicator of having enough body fat, and about my eating habits (I'm taking in around 1800-2000 cal/day which is what I need with my activity level and body fat%). My worries about only having 12.6% body fat also went away because I feel amazing! I don't look unhealthy or malnourished - instead I look empowered and strong. Not to mention I have a ton of energy!
I posted a couple pictures on facebook (I debated on it, but I was so dang proud of my work that I couldn't help it) and I was amazed at the number of people who wrote me privately about how they were inspired by my hard work. I was overwhelmed with the love and support I received. It made me think of the quote from Marianne Williamson made famous by Nelson Mandela.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
5 comments:
ALYSSA! This is amazing!!! The best part is that I thought your "before" pictures were your "after" pictures at first! Hahaha. I would kill to look like your before pictures! But your after pictures are just ridiculously amazing. Good for you. I loved the quote you shared too. I wish I felt inspired to do the same thing after reading this but i kind of just feel like, "Wow, that is amazing and I will never be able to accomplish the same thing." I so admire your commitment to sticking with your program and being so strict. I have never been able to do something like that, I always fall off after a few weeks. I think doing the bod pod was a great idea because I just did a 6 week program and I thought i was doing so great, then i weighed myself at the end and i had GAINED 3 pounds. i'm sure a lot of it was muscle (that's the only explanation, I was being really strict with eating and working out every day), but i still felt so discouraged by the number on the scale that I wasn't as motivated to keep going as strictly.
Anyway. Angie's life story here on your comments. Sorry. HOW DID YOU FIND THE MOTIVATION?! Teach me your secrets. And once again, Good for you, Alyssa. I am impressed and proud and amazed and yes, a little inspired! ;) You're awesome.
Good job Al!! Your results are amazing! It fun to have a goal and actually finish:)
Alyssa, you are amazing! Good job. Do you want to come to colorado and be my personal trainer?? ;)
I have a question: what kind of protein shakes do you use? I've looked around for a lot of different ones, but I hate spending a bunch of money on one and then not liking the taste. So I'm curious what you like.
You worked so hard to do this! You're awesome!! When i first saw your pics on fb, i ate an orange in your honor. (which is a big deal for me!!)
holy shit girl!
sorry, but that's the only thing that keeps coming back to my mind!
i wish i could have motivation like that. is there any way my body could look like your before picture after having 3 kids??? i'm just not sure, but i might try. we should talk, unless you are painfully sick of talking about yourself because i'm sure you have been bombarded with questions.
Post a Comment