Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Estes Park and the Draft Horse Show

Indian Mountain - can you see the Indian sleeping on the top of the mtn?









Thanks to a generous invite from Shane's grandparents, we went up to Estes Park this weekend for a much needed get-a-way.  I hadn't realized just how tired and drained I was with Kita's passing so I was grateful for the time spent in a beautiful little mountain town.


The Draft Horse show was in town so we went down to see what those "gentle giants" could do.  I really didn't know what to expect given that my few experiences with horses have been being bucked off 3 of the 5 I've ridden.

We watched these ginormous horses maneuver through obstacle courses that would be tough to get a small car through.  (I was doubting whether I could drive my car with as much precision as the trainers drove their horses.)  It was easy to fall in love with each team of horses which often caused an audible sigh to echo through the stands when a mistake was made.

I didn't understand most of went on as each individual horse or team was judged but it was fun to watch those beautiful animals.
Glenn kept saying she should win b/c of her hat.  I agree!  I want it!
We broke away from the horse show for lunch at Mary's Lake Lodge.  The view was incredible and so was my grilled cheese with bison chili.  (I'm a sucker for grilled cheese.)  After lunch we drove home on HWY 7 and caught the stunning view of Mt. Meeker and Long's Peak.  (Meeker is the peak on the far left.  Long's is the peak in the middle. I don't know what the peak on the right is...)

It was a great weekend and I'm so grateful to Shane's grandparents for inviting us to join in. 











1 comment:

Angie said...

How fun! Shane's grandparents are so cute. I bet it was fun to have a little getaway with them. :)