I have yet to miss an alumni game. Like some sort of soccer freak, I make sure I can make it to it every year. Thanks to Frontier flying to Provo for $50 it was easy to get over there and relive my glory days of yore. I was going to go by myself but Shane wanted to see the Tour of Utah so he drove out on Thurs. and I flew in Friday night.
We spent Saturday at 7 peaks (oh how I miss living across the street from that place) where we ran into 2 people we knew (I miss running into people at 7 peaks). After basking in the sun we enjoyed a turkey ranch on focaccia from Kneaders. YUM! (Had we gone earlier I would have gotten their french toast that is TO DIE FOR!) The time went quickly and before we knew it, it was game time.
It is always a blast to see my former teammates. We instantly reminisce and remind each other of forgotten memories.
- Jenny's mom trying to get our attention on our way to Laramie. The bus was spewing smoke so she pulled up along the bus and acted like she was smoking and then frantically pointed at the bus. Jenny was humiliated and kept shooing her mom back. But finally we got the message. We pulled over and spent the night in Little America in the middle of Wyoming while the bus was fixed.
- Alyssa McEwens obsession with putting the little "poops" from the aerator back into their holes.
- Chelsea and Alyssa quoting every line from Friends.
- Warming up to On the Land, In the Sea a game kinda like Simon Says. The sideline is the "land" and the field is the "sea" and coach tells us "on the land" or "in the sea" to which we have to either jump to the line or on the field or hold still where we are at as he tries to get us to mess up.
- Our spring team challenge of performing the UVU fight song. We were split into 2 teams and told we had one minute to prepare the fight song. The other team had Chelsea who was the sole person who knew UVU had a fight song as well as the words. On "go" both teams performed the UVU fight song. Chelsea's team actually sang the fight song. My team built a human pyramid while Ashley Skeen did a back handspring all the while we mumbled trying to fake that we had no clue the words to the fight song. When coach said it was a close call on who the winner of the challenge was, Chelsea pointed out that we didn't even sing the fight song. Coach quickly replied, "I don't know if you saw, but they had a pyramid with a back handspring." Oh how I couldn't stop laughing.
- Someone informing coach that the team got crabby at the same time every month b/c girls who spend lots of time together get on the same cycle. It was a revelation to him!
SO MANY MEMORIES!
The game was fabulous! I had so much fun, and I was really glad I have been playing soccer regularly. I love that I got to play in the back line with Alyssa, and Chelsea. We ended up tieing the game 1-1. (Our goal wasn't actually scored it was earned by monetary donations.) We really did give the team a run for their money though.
After the game we took all sorts of pictures and talked about our days gone by. Then we went over to In-N-Out for a burger. After chatting with friends we called it a day.
Sunday was spent at church and then lunch with friends before we took off. The old gang was there (minus Carlene) and it was great to be back for a brief minute. All in all we were in Utah for 36ish hours - far too short but well worth it!
1 comment:
I still say it's ridiculous to win a game where you have to sing the fight song without singing the fight song!!! Lame. It was good to see you.
Post a Comment