Sunday, May 5, 2013

Ancestral Christening Dress

I adored Makenna's blessing dress.  It was her great, great, great, great grandfather, Benjamin Ludden's christening gown.  It dates back to the 1700's, and it is all handmade.  (I can't even being to fathom how someone makes a dress as intricate as this.)  The gown is in amazing condition, and I was so grateful she was able to wear it.  I wore that same dress nearly 28 years ago, and maybe 28 years from now, her little girl can wear it.
I had a patient this week who is a pastor of an Assemblies of God church.  He and I asked each other quite a few questions about each other's faiths.  (It's a good thing he takes good care of his teeth otherwise his appointment would have run long!)  Among other questions, he asked me about the LDS beliefs on infant baptism and blessings.  If he had questions, I'm sure others do as well.  You can click here to learn about our beliefs on baptism.

It was sweet to see my little girl being held in Shane's arms as she received a blessing from her Heavenly Father through the power of the priesthood.  (That link explains blessings.)  I realize not everyone believes in deity, but I do.  I know that the Lord is aware of, and deeply concerned with each of us - even Makenna - and I loved being able to hear the sweet words of her blessing. 

No comments: