Friday, April 23, 2010

My odd love for school

Not to toot my own horn but... I got the highest score on 3 out of 4 tests and was the first student to ever ace one of Dr. Jensen's tests. WAHOO!

My finals end next week and I'm feeling nostalgic already.

I laughed everytime I was in lab as my lab professor, Dr. Jennings, would personify the microbes by saying things like, "E. coli gets so excited when you put it on MacConkey agar. It loves MacConkey!" or "I don't think microbes really care if they grow upside down." And I sat in awe as my lecture Professor, Dr. Jensen, (who has been a nobel prize candidate twice) would lecture to us about mico organisms and all the things he's done to study them.

I'm so grateful to all of my professors who made classes so fun and interesting and have kept me inspired to learn. As difficult as it is to study and cram loads of information in my brain, I always end up loving the experience after it's all over.

I've learned that I need to love the moment I'm in. How often do we wish our lives away thinking, "I can't wait to be done with school! I can't wait to be settled! I can't wait to have money!" Once we move on, and are done with school, settled, and have money, we will look back and miss being poor, stressed, and never being sure where we will live in a year.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, and I feel like I'm learning to peek over the fence less and lay in my own grass more. My grass is patchy, brown, and for the most part crabgrass, but I'm loving the journey of figuring out how to make my lawn lush and green.

6 comments:

Courtney said...

Cuckoo, cuckoo, cuckoo...

Andrea said...

yeah, you really should learn to stop being a cranky pants...haha...loved your comment...did you just add the phillipines pics on the side or did I never notice those before?
I loved school too...I actually miss doing homework sometimes and wish I could do Thad's for him...
Maybe we were twins in the premortal life...?

Angie said...

Woo hoooooo!!!! That is amazing! You aren't tooting your own horn enough, I know how hard those tests are, so to get that high on all of them?!!? You are AMAZING girl!! Those open-answer tests totally require you to KNOW your stuff backwards and forwards. But doesn't that make it feel that much better when you totally kill it and do amazing?! I am so excited for you. And you brought back all these fond memories of Dr. Jensen's class. I absolutely loved that class. He was so smart and such a great teacher, and had done so many amazing things and been so many crazy places - he had the best stories! I mean, who else do you know that can suddenly go, "You know, when I was in Africa studying Malaria, a leper came up and grabbed me..." Holy Cow!!! He was amazing and I loved his class. I'm so glad you took it and liked it too. And every other test from now on will be cake, right? :) (YES. The DH tests are so easy it's sad.) Have a very relaxing summer off of school, you deserve it Miss Smarty Pants!!

Angie said...

Oh and I have to say I did not share your love for lab. I might have had Jennings too, was he the really tall skinny ultra nerdy one? Yeah I couldn't take it. Haha.

And I wanted to say, Good for you for being happy in the moment. That's what life's all about! Joy in the journey!

Suzy said...

aWESOME JOB !!! ALYSSA!!! you are a smart, beautiful talented gal-keep up the good work:0)

Alyssa/Jo said...

Thanks everyone! Yes Andrea, we've had the Philippine pictures up the whole time. I want to go back so I can add more pics.