Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I not only survived but I had a BLAST!

The days leading up to the Ragnar Relay I was worried. I'm sure you can understand my anxiety: I hadn't trained and I hadn't met any of my teammates. I was dreading the soreness that would inevitably come, and I was nervous my team might be any combination of weirdos, lameos, jerks, tight wads, crankies, etc.

I lucked out and ended up making 5 great new friends and escaped with soreness for only 1 day.
Our team name was "The Joggernauts." Van 1 consisted of Katie, Sara, Collin, Tim, Bryan, and Jo (Me) (I decided to go by my nickname for this event in case my team turned out to be weirdos, then they couldn't track me down.)

The first legs of the race took us through Cache Valley - Gorgeous!


Bryan got to crest the top of Avon Pass - again, gorgeous!


We ate dinner in the parking lot of snowbasin ski resort while listening to a tone deaf band.
Katie was the first hand cyclist to do the Ragnar. She is the one who gave us great times. She puts up a 5 min mile. The Deseret News even wrote a story on her for competing in the Ragnar. If you want to know more about her story you can go here for more.
After only 3 hours of sleep we were ready for our final legs.


Bryan's caption for this picture: Smiling after running her last 8 miles.. How? Why?!

Next time I run one of these things, I'm going to train. I was ok not training, but I know I'd feel more accomplished if I trained and I would put up faster times.

Events like this are stressful and people get crabby with the lack of sleep, but they are also the events where you leave laughing about all of the inside jokes and funny things that happened that aren't funny to anyone else.

Get down from der - doot doot doot dooot doooot - You will get in our car, declare your age, and eat chowder - this building won an award in 1997 for being built by a lady who was between the ages of 40 and 60 - Beefcakes - Sara's incredible dance moves - beating the tutus - dusting people walking - the green goblin - sweat of asians - and of course, the terrible band at Snowbasin

9 comments:

Tyson and Taylor Beaman said...

sounds like a lot of fun! Glad you enjoyed it.

Kara and Cody Markham said...

GOOD JOB RUNNING AL! I wish i was a long distance runner, maybe someday:) It looks like you had a great time.

katie said...

yeah!!!! so glad that you found me and yes it was sooooooo worth the good times!

Chantel said...

hahahaha i love how you said "I decided to use my nickname in case they were weirdos and couldnt track me down!" hahaah i just love you. see ya at vegas ragnar heyoooo!

Courtney said...

My brother and his wife did that race and their team beat yours. I'm sure of it.

Angie said...

That sounds like so much fun! Way to go for doing something so challenging! And with no training?!? You're amazing.

Taylor and Cami Weight said...

Oh that looks so fun and gorgeous! I definitely want to do this with you next year when I'm not just recovering from having a baby! :)

Kristel said...

Great job! I'm glad you found our blog. That's awesome that your in-laws live so close to where we will be living. Let me know when you visit and we can run together!

Jimmie-Nichole-Koa-Becks said...

Of course you did that without training. Sorry I am the worst, you can totally get shoes. Call me.