Sunday, February 27, 2011

Snowshoeing

Kita was looking like this so we decided to head out..
and do this.
Fresh snow in the mountains made the conditions perfect for snowshoeing. We called the St.Clair's to borrow their snowshoes and headed out about 2pm. I read about a great place to go online, so we made the trek in the 'rolla. The car worked well on the dry roads but she didn't fair too well on the steep snowy incline Shane stopped on to read the "Dog Rules" of the park. Once we stopped me couldn't get up the last 5 ft. to get us into the parking lot. 2 cars pulled up behind us and tried to push us up the last little bit - We were unsuccessful. The car behind us died so we couldn't get down past them to take a running start up the hill. Then another car pulled up, a guy got out to help but slipped and fell and hit his head pretty hard. Luckily, some friends of ours from Colorado showed up and saved us. They pulled us up the little incline. We somewhat ditched the people whose car died. They said they had it under control. I'm feeling bad now that we didn't follow up more...

Like I said, some friends of ours from Colorado pulled up and saved us. It is amazing how small the world is. We went on a lovely 3 mile hike through the National Forest. Everything was covered in snow and there was lots energy for Kita to burn in the powder.

We got home around 6pm and were exhausted. They say you can burn up to 1,200 calories an hour snowshoeing. I didn't really believe it since you are just walking. Once I got home I believed it. I was beat like I am after a full day of snowboarding and I was STARVING! We were ready to hit the sack at 7pm. Kita went to bed immediately and didn't move til I made her get up to eat the next morning. We are now on the hunt for our own showshoes, so we can go next weekend. If you haven't gone snowshoeing I highly recommend it!

4 comments:

Angie said...

That looks like so much fun! And if it's a great workout too?! I am all for it. I love that you guys are so active. Utah is such a great place and has so much to offer, and you guys are taking advantage of it! :)

Courtney said...

Snowshoeing is awesome. I honestly do love it. Too bad the shoes are freaking expensive.

Kita is lazy.

dan and laura said...

um. jealous. dan and i need so shoes for sure!

and by the way... my mom does the same thing...she personalizes EVERYTHING! when she was little she would say to her dresses, "now which one of you wants to be worn today?" then she would feel bad for the dresses that she didn't choose. i think it's a life long thing...because she tends to be a softy... she couldn't pull the carrots out of the garden for goodness sake! :)

LOL. just made me laugh to know other people do that too. it just means you care, and this world definitely needs people who care! :)

Alyssa/Jo said...

You are too kind Laura! That really is hilarious about your mom not being able to pull the carrots out of the garden!