Friday, March 4, 2011

The sacrifices we make

This is Paige. She is my big sister in dental hygiene school. They pair each of the first year students with a second year student. They tell us it's so we have someone to look after us and give us the inside scoop into dental hygiene life. What they don't tell you is that after forging a bond with this so called friend, that you will be their guinea pig.
The second years learn anesthesia and take a board exam so they can give anesthesia to patients in the real world. However, the second year students need to find someone to be their patient. Not only does this patient go on exam day, but they must give us several hours of their life as the second year practices the different shots.

I'm Paige's patient. She is a great big sister - she makes me treats when she uses me.
The first 2 practice shots went text book. No issues. I was told my mouth was awesome and Paige got the needle in the perfect spot.

Yesterday was the third time Paige practiced on me. I'm so glad I don't have any issues with needles b/c this particular practice shot didn't go so well. There are certain steps that have to take place and certain things have to be said to meet protocol. Well...yeah...protocol didn't go too well and I so wished I could have laughed during the process. (I would have laughed but there was a needle in my mouth! I'm not a masochist!) So here is how it went.

Paige:
Ok, I've got proper angle and depth
Ms. Dowd (her instructor): cricket...cricket (she said nothing)
Paige: You are supposed to say, "I see, proceed."
Ms Dowd: Oh, whatever.
Paige: Ok, I'm not sure I'm in the right spot. Am I supposed to be showing 3mm or more of the needle
Ms. Dowd: I don't know. I thought it was 7mm. Hmmm.
Paige: I don't know either. I can't remember anything today.
(REMEMBER A VERY SHARP NEEDLE IS STICKING IN MY MOUTH DURING ALL THIS)

This scene played out 5 more times as Paige stuck me with the needle and would then discuss whether or not things were right. Every time she inserted the needle she would angle too sharp and hit my bone. The last try she got Ms. Veit in the mix and that was hilarious.

Paige: Ok, so I'm inserting the needle...ooo...I hit bone again. What do I do now?
Ms. Dowd: I think you should angle down.
Ms. Veit: No! Angle more up.
(Paige, Ms.Dowd, and Ms. Veit have a disscussion about what should be done with the needle that is, again, in my mouth. Each argues why they think they should proceed a certain way. After the discussion this is what happened)
Paige: I don't know what to do.
Ms. Dowd: I'm confused, we should go look this up.
Ms Veit: I'm not 100% sure but try this. She should be ok. Don't worry it's guesswork anyway. Plus she probably won't get a hematoma (a big bruise from hitting a huge plexus of veins).

(AT THAT MOMENT ANOTHER STUDENT TELLS MS.VEIT THAT ONE OF THE OTHER GIRLS JUST GOT A HUGE HEMATOMA AND HER CHEEK IS PURPLE AND HORRIBLY SWOLLEN.)

Ms. Veit: Oops, oh well. Ok, go ahead Paige. Jo will be just fine.
I wanted to laugh at the scene that was taking place! They tell us over and over, "Never say, 'Oops' or 'I'm not sure.' " There I was and everyone is saying "oops", "I'm not sure", and, oh yeah, "one of the girls just got a huge bruise from the shot."

Again, I'm glad I don't have issues with needles b/c I certainly had every right to be freaking out. Instead we just laughed and took pictures. I love hygiene school!

8 comments:

The Stones said...

ahhhh! Jo this sounds terrible, but knowing the AWESOME you of course you wanted to laugh. It doesn't help that I HATE the dentist (prob because the $1,000,000 I've spent in dental care). For reals, you are SO BRAVE!

Angie said...

GOOD TIMES! This brought back so many memories. I also was a guinea pig, but remember that your guinea pig days are far from over. I had way more shots practiced on me during second year than first! I am also not afraid of needles so I was okay with it, but when I would tell people how often I was getting shots and that unlicensed students were practicing on me all the time, people would be so horrified. I love how you described it because that is just how I remember it! It turns out that it is not a big deal and here you are rooting around in someone's jaw with a needle and having a conversation with your instructor about it the whole time. I found it so crazy that you can like, pull out a few milimeters and redirect, re-insert over and over, pull in and out over and over and sit there with the needle in their jaw, and the patient is relatively unharmed and doesn't suffer any major effects. Crazy! I loved giving shots, I hope you will too! It's crazy and kinda fun. I hope you don't get a hematoma while you're playing guinea pig!

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh!!! I don't have a problem with shot the least bit, but those mouth shots are the worst! I HATE THEM!!! They always hurt even with that numbing stuff. I feel so bad for you! Who are you going find for you to practice on! I hope your "big sister" is up for the challenge because I think there should definitely be PAY BACK!

Megan Marie said...

oh the joy of learning how to give shots on each-other!! just wait to you have to get the palate shot- it feels like your getting your brains sucked out when they aspirate. or when i got the ASA she hit my bone 3 times and skidded it all the way up i was bawling- then when i gave my 1st shot this dentist from the back came up behind me and tried to scare me- i freaked out and whipped the needle out of her mouth- ohh what a summer it was giving shots everyday! ahh! ps- i did like 8 blog posts last sunday and they were on scheduled dates. haha i'm really not blogging as much as you think- but i am studying for boards right now and i swear i'm gonna die- i take it on wed! so glad i got anesthesia out of the way early!

Jamie and Lauren said...

Oh Jo... what have you gone and gotten yourself into. I am glad that you can find humor in the situation. If you ever need a shot in the butt you know where to find me.

Mandy said...

I love it! You are probably so sore today! I hope you had a delicious flavor of topical!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daisy Paige said...

I love this post! (found your blog address on facebook) Thank you SOOO much for helping me pass my clinical exam today. Best little sister ever!!