All these wives' tales got me to thinking. What if I went through each of the tales and figured out what I was having. Certainly by doing multiple "tests" I would be able to determine the gender...
(1) Pregnancy Cravings
Crave sweets = girlCrave salty foods = boy
I don't feel like I've had any cravings given that I haven't had any moments where I've told Shane he needs to go to the store and get "X." I've always loved sweets and that continued right on the same track with the pregnancy.
Result: Girl
(2) Chinese Calendar
This states that the gender of your baby is determined by the age of the mother and the month of conception. Easy enough. Based on the calendar below, I'm having a boy. (Age:27, Month of Conception: June)
...But wait, this calendar show that I'm having a girl.
I guess the Chinese Calendar is a wash.
Result: hmmm...not sure.
(3) Baby's Heartbeat
If your baby's heartbeat is 140+ then you are having a girl.If your baby's heartbeat is <140 a="a" are="are" boy.="boy." having="having" then="then" you="you">140>
Heartbeat of our baby = 160
Result: Girl
(4) Morning Sickness
If you are sick during your pregnancy you are having a girl.If you don't get sick, then it's a boy.
I haven't felt sick once. I've had what I'm sure most would call an enviable pregnancy.
Result: Boy
(5) Spots
If you break out while pregnant then you are having a girl because they steal their mother's beauty. I've always had skin issues, but I've noticed an increase in breakouts.Result: Girl
(6) Ring Pendulum
This is that voodoo thing I was talking about earlier.- Attach the mom-to-be's wedding ring to a strand of the mom-to-be's hair
- Have the mom lie on her back
- Dangle the thread over the expectant mother's belly
- Allow the string to move without interfering with the motion
- If the ring moves in a back-and-forth motion pendulum motion, the test indicates that the baby is a girl.
- If the ring moves in a circular motion, the test indicates that the baby is a boy.
Result: Boy
(7) Drano
I want to know who came up with this one. It is OUT there.Supplies Needed:
- Approximately 2 tablespoons of Crystal Drano
- Medium glass or glass jar.
- Two to Three ounces of urine, preferably the first morning urine.
When the reaction stops, observe the color of the test.
If the mixture darkens to a brownish color within the first 10 seconds – It is a boy.
If there is no darkening or color change after 10 – 15 seconds – It is a girl.
I actually didn't do this one. We didn't have drano and I did not want to go buy it just for this.
Result: Unknown
(8) Mayan Prediction
The Mayans predicted the end of the world. Why not the gender of my baby?They deternine the sex of the baby by taking the mother's age at conception, and the year of conception. If both are even or both are odd, it's a girl. If one is even and one odd, it's a boy.
Conception year = 2012
Mother's age at conception = 27
One is even, one is odd.
Result: Boy
Summary: Out of the 8 tests we have 3 for a boy, 3 for a girl, one that is a wash, and one we didn't actually perform. So I'm back right where I started. Maybe I should have done that Drano test for a tie-breaker...
Enough with the wives' tales though. I want to know what I'm really having. Baby was shy at 21 weeks so here I am, 25 weeks along, waiting to find out what I'm having. And the absolute final result is...
...in this bag. Oh the suspense!!!




2 comments:
The whole heartbeat thing is false,(as are most) my little guy was always above 140...anyway, I say girl :), I'm going with the sweets thing. I was repulsed by sweets as have been most people I know who had boys. The suspense is killing me, that's for sure.
I say girl:) I'm so excited for you guys!
I had the doctor write down the results on a paper and kept it in my pocket for a couple days until Dannon got off a mountain. I am SO surprised I didn't peek:)
Post a Comment