There aren't many traditions in our family, but the Christmas card is one of them. Our year wouldn't be complete if we didn't recap the year to friends and family with snapshots from the year along with a full page letter. (With only the two of us taking a full page, I can't imagine how long it will be as our family grows.)
I get teary eyed just looking at the front of our card this year. In the past, I refrained from putting a picture of Kita on the front of the card b/c I know it can be pretty cheesy to have the family pet front and center. However, this year it just wouldn't be right not to have her on the front. She was a significant part of our lives during her short life, and I adore this picture that our friend Jordan took while on this adventure.
Despite Kita passing, this year has been one to remember. Lots of changes and new adventures. Enjoy!
![]() |
| Front |
![]() |
| Back |
Happy Holidays
Welcome
friends and family to the 5th annual Markham Christmas letter!
We
started out the first part of the year in Utah while I finished up my degree in
dental hygiene. We took advantage
of being so close to the mountains by snow shoeing as often as snow permitted
and taking hikes along our favorite trail on the mountain adjacent to our
house. I played as much soccer as
possible and my team, Pete Chilcutt,
became three-peat champions. Shane and I also caught the health bug and got
into great shape. We rewarded our
efforts in clean eating and rigorous workouts by going on a cruise. (Can anyone say, all you can eat buffets
and unlimited ice cream cones combined with zero exercise?) Needless to say we have at least one
new years resolution already in the works.
After
graduation, we moved to Colorado…to Ed and Mindi’s (my in-laws) basement. Both of our parents could not have been
prouder! Shane went back to
working on the farm, and I found a job as a hygienist at a dental office in Ft.
Collins. We both love our jobs and
are extremely grateful for them.
In
August, Shane found a house and put offer in on it. The seller accepted the offer and we were under contract…all
without me ever seeing the house.
(That’s how we roll.) The
house has a basement apartment, so we live in the basement and are renting out
the top. We enjoy our cozy, little
bungalow.
On a sad note, and I cry even as I write
it, our sweet Kita passed away this summer. She was diagnosed with lymphoma, and 6 short weeks later, she
passed away. I don’t think a dog
was ever loved/obsessed over as much as Kita. I still laugh at myself for all the times Shane and I would
be invited somewhere and I would ask, “Can we bring Kita?” We had her for 5 short years, Aug. 13,
2007-Aug. 13, 2012. She is sorely
missed.
In
baby news, Shane and I are happy to announce we are expecting our first baby (it’s
a girl) in March 2013. My entire
first trimester was while we were living in Ed and Mindi’s basement, and given
that I’ve had what everyone calls an “easy” pregnancy, it was pretty awesome to
see Mindi almost not believe us when we told her.
Shane
continued to show his awesomeness by competing in the Pumkinman Triathalon down
in Vegas this October. He took 8th
in his age group…without any training.
Imagine what he could do if he trained!
We
hope everyone has a great holiday season and a happy new year…that is if the
Mayans were wrong and December 21st, our 6th anniversary,
isn’t the end of the world. We
love you and are grateful for each one of you. As we reflect on the year it is easy to see how the Lord has
blessed us by putting angels like you in our lives. May we ever remember our Savior as we celebrate his birth
during this wonderful time of year.


No comments:
Post a Comment