Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Birth Story: Sweet Baby Jane

What do you want to be when you grow up?

We've all been asked this question hundreds of times.
As a kid, I remember many of the girls around me responding quickly and excitedly with,
 I want to be a mom!!!
 
My answer to this question changed over the years:  
A pilot, a professional soccer player, a fire fighter, a hygienist, etc.
 But never, I mean never, did I once think, let alone say, that I wanted to be a mom. 
It didn't appeal to me on any level. 

It seemed messy, unorganized, tiring, hard, frustrating, inconvenient, and on top of that, what would it do to my body?  Would I fall victim to those last 10lbs? Stretch marks? Saggy breasts? Tired eyes?
I'm no genius, but that sounded unappealing no matter how I looked at it.

On February 26th, 2013 at 1:47am this woman, who never aspired to be a mom, became a mom...
 ...and I wouldn't go back and change it for the world.

Makenna Jane Markham was born on February 26th, 2013 at 1:47am after 6 hours of natural labor and 9 minutes of pushing.  She weighed 7lbs. 8oz. and was 19.75 inches long.

**** Makenna was "Sweet Baby Jane" for 3 days until we gave her her first name ****

BIRTH STORY

BACKGROUND
My pregnancy was what the movie, What to Expect When You're Expecting, would call a unicorn pregnancy.  I never had morning sickness, cravings, swollen ankles, aversions to any foods, heartburn, tiredness, etc.  Me being pregnant was carefree and easy...until the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy.  

I went in for my 36 week ultrasound, (I was 37 weeks along though) and they became concerned over my amniotic fluid level.  The tech measured it at 6cm of fluid and my doctor measured it at 10cm of fluid.  Since there was a discrepancy, they scheduled to have my fluids remeasured a week later. 

At that appointment, my fluids measured 7.4cm.  While that was still a good measurement, (they don't like anything under 5cm) my doctor was now concerned and used all sorts of scary words in talking about the health of my baby b/c a drop of 2.6cm is significant in that amount of time.  So, I was scheduled for another measurement later that week and if I dropped again, he wanted to induce.  

I was not a happy camper.  I had hoped for a natural labor and delivery.  There were many prayers, and I received a powerful and incredibly comforting priesthood blessing.

At my next appointment my fluids were 4cm.  My doctor continued to use a plethora of overwhelming words like brain damage, stillbirth and C-section.  I told him all was well.  I knew everything was ok.  He sent me to a high risk OB and told me that just b/c my mom had delivered each of us kids naturally didn't mean that I would be the same.  I decided that was my last appointment with that OB.  I needed to get a new doctor.

The next day, (Tues Feb. 19th - 5 days before my due date) Shane and I traveled 1.5 hrs to south Denver to the high risk OB.  He measured my fluids at 8cm - HALLELUJAH!!!  He was very informative and helpful, but he did say that I should be induced come Sunday (my due date) if I hadn't delivered yet.

I scrambled to find a new doctor who would listen to me and educate me rather than try and scare me into a procedure and tell me I wasn't my mother.  Enter Dr. Heidi Pomfret - the answer to my prayers.  She took over as my OB.  She measured my fluids again on Friday - 8cm.  Again, Hallelujah!!! 

My due date (Sun. Feb 24th) came and went.  No labor.  

Monday morning I awoke to nothing.  I laid in bed and felt nothing.  I got out of bed and got ready for the day.  Nothing.  Baby was normally very active, so to go 45min without feeling her was very out of the ordinary.  I woke Shane.  More prayers.  Another priesthood blessing.  We left for the hospital.  I felt baby.  Everything checked out OK at the hospital.  Thank you Heavenly Father. 

Later that day, I had an OB appointment.  Dr. Pomfret measured my fluids.  2cm.  My heart sank.  "How do you feel about having a baby tonight?"  My eyes filled with tears.  I looked at Shane.  He nodded his head.  I knew he was right.  My desire to do everything natural needed to be shelved for the sake of the baby.  It was time to intervene. We went across the street and checked in at the hospital.
6 PM
I'm given Cytotec to help my body get ready to be induced.  Most people need 3 doses of Cytotec (you take one dose every 4 hours), then they put you on Pitocin, and then you have a baby.  I tell my nurse, Camille, I really want to deliver naturally.  She is very supportive.  She wants me to deliver naturally.  

During my first dose of Cytotec, baby's heart rate drops below mine.  Camille and another nurse act very concerned.  They rush around my room, put me on oxygen, and start a saline drip.  I know baby is OK.  That doesn't matter to the them.  Shane walks in from getting food.  His eyes get really big.  I mean REALLY big.  Nonchalantly I tell him, "No worries.  Baby's heart rate just dropped.  It's ok now."  Shane looks to the nurses.  He is used to me saying everything is OK when the medical world says otherwise.  They explain what happened.  This little escapade means I'm not allowed to get off the monitors.  Bummer.   

I start to have contractions.  Most are light but a few are fairly intense.

8 PM
Contractions are very regular and are picking up in intensity.  They aren't perfectly consistent but they are finding a pattern quickly.  I focus on relaxing through each one.  I feel most of the contractions in my low back.  Shane does a perfect job of rubbing my back and applying pressure to reduce the intensity of the contractions.  He is the perfect coach - responding to all of my requests in an instant.

10 PM
Dr. Pomfret checks me.  I'm dilated to 3cm.  (I was at 2cm when I was admitted.)  I'm given the option to see if my one dose of Cytotec is enough, or go on Pitocin to ensure I go into labor (Dr.'s preference), or break my water.  I choose to see if the one dose of Cytotec is enough.  I'm still clinging to hope that I can do this naturally minus the one dose of Cytotec.  "Ok, lets see this baby by morning," Dr. Pomfret said in her always positive tone.

10:15 PM
My contractions really take off.  I'm in labor - no doubt about it.  Camille is amazed.  Everyone needs 3 doses of Cytotec plus Pitocin.   My contractions are intense.  Shane watches the monitor and he knows just when to start massaging.  He can feel my back flex as the numbers climb - 20, 35, 65, 90+.  My perfect coach whispers to me.  "You can do this.  You are amazing.  I love you."  

For the next two hours we work together with each contraction.  I couldn't do this without Shane.  I have that thought at least a thousand times through the night.  

Why do I have to be attached to these monitors stillThey didn't have them 100 years ago and tons of births were just fine.  I really hate the monitors.  They hurt, they don't allow me to move, they don't allow me to lay in the comfort of the Bradley position, they really suck.  Shane is just who I need.  I can do anything with him there by me whispering confidence in my ears.  My contractions aren't regular like they talk about in the book.  They are more like sets of waves in the ocean.  As I finish one contraction, the next one starts.  No break.  This cycle repeats itself 3-4 times and then I get a short hiatus before the process starts all over.  I'm amazed by all the women who have gone before me.

12 AM
Camille checks me.  5cm.  "You are dilating 1cm/hr.  We will have a baby come early morning.  Here is a bag for you in case you puke."  I block out everything.  My world is just the next contraction.

Our birth photographer, Michelle, shows up.  I wonder if we called her too soon.  What if she has to wait hours before our baby arrives?  She reminds me that she loves her job and knows what it entails.  I'm really glad we hired her.  I look horrible though.  I was supposed to go into labor naturally which would allow me time to primp a little.  Instead I have zero make-up on and my hair is two days dirty.  Too late to do anything about it now, and at this point, I really don't care. 

Sweet Shane asks Camille if I can be let off the monitors and get in the tub - baby's vitals have been good for 4 hours.  She hesitates, then agrees.  She fills the tub for me.

Oh the tub!  It feels amazingI'm still in a lot of pain but at least the monitors aren't adding to it.  "We should have brought a rubber ducky!"  I joke trying to trick my mind into thinking I'm just a kid playing in the tub.  Shane laughs.  He rubs my back as I turn on my side in the tub.  I feel so bad for him.  Don't his fingers hurt?  Is he uncomfortable?  He has been awake since 7am - he should rest his eyes for a bit.  The bliss of the tub is gone.  I feel contraction after contraction come.  Again, they come right after each other with only a few seconds of rest before the next set comes.  They are more and more intense. 

1 AM
I need privacy.  Shane leaves.  A wave of nausea overtakes me.  I puke twice in the trash can.  I really hate puking.  Shane runs back in to help me.  I puke two more times.  I tell him I'm OK and to leave.  I know the smell of throw up can make him dry heave.  I can tell he really wants to help in some way.  Again, I ask him to leave.  He reluctantly heads for the door.  I know he wants to trade places.  He would much rather experience what I'm going through, than to watch me knowing there is nothing he can do to end my discomfort.

Camille pokes her head in the bathroom.  "That's why I got you the puke bag."
Would you rather I puke on the floor!? I think, sarcastically.  I can't dwell on Camille and her absurd comment.  Another contraction.  It is unbearable.  I need Shane.

I can't stand.  I can't sit.  I can't lay down.  I can't... I can't... I try to walk out of the bathroom.  Another contraction.  I slump to the floor.  Shane catches me.

Little do I know, I'm going through transition, but I think I'm only dilated to 6cm based on what Camille told me earlier.  (Why did I believe her guess on how quickly I would dilate?  My beloved Bradley book told me not to believe promises on time frames with dilating and labor.  I couldn't help myself though.) 

I have a very strong urge to push. 
  
My mind races to figure out what is going on.  It's 1am meaning I'm only a 6, right?  Why do I want to push?  I thought I was dilating 1cm/hr?  How am I going to survive to 10 when I'm only at a 6?  I can't do this anymore.  

"I want drugs!"  

Camille disappears.  Another contraction - all I want to do is push.  When she re-appears, I sign something. 

 "I really want to push," I tell her.  

"Let me check you," she replies maybe a little too cheery.  "Well no wonder you want to push.  You are 10cm.  Let's call your doctor."  

Everything I was feeling makes perfect sense now.  The book said once I felt I couldn't handle labor any longer it would mean I was ready to deliver.  Plus I had the sensation to push - another big clue that I was ready to deliver.  I knew that!  I'm embarrassed I asked for "the juice."
 
The room is flooded with people and lights now.  "On the next contraction take 2 deep breaths and on the 3rd, tuck your chin down, pull your legs back and bear down."  Despite her earlier comments, I love my nurse, Camille.  I really do.  It's been easy to pick out her faults, but she really is fabulous.    

Camille is the best pushing coach ever.  After 2 pushing contractions I'm praised heavily for all the progress I'm making.  "You are amazing!"  The 3rd contraction comes.  I push with everything I've got.  I see Dr. Pomfret come in.  It's a good thing she lives 3 blocks from the hospital.  She isn't wearing gloves or one of those gowns you see doctors wear on those doctor shows.   

"Don't push," Camille tells me.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!  There's no way I'm not going to push: someone will catch her!  I yell very loudly in my head.

Dr. Pomfret must have heard my thoughts.  You can push!  She barely gets on her gloves.  My water breaks.  My 5th pushing contraction comes.  One deep breath.  Exhale.  Another deep breath.  Exhale.  A third deep breath and all my abdominal workouts over the years are put to the test.  

My baby cries.  It's 1:47am.  

She is placed on me.  "Hi sweetie.  Hi sweetie."  I keep saying it over and over.  The room is busy but me and baby are still for a few moments.  This moment is surreal.  Just like every pregnant woman thinks, I knew she would come, but I never thought I would actually go into labor, then deliver, and then hold my baby.  

Shane follows baby when they take her to get weighed, measured, and cleaned up.  Time seems to stop.  I look around the room.  The David After Dentist line pops in my head, Is this real life?  It must be.  Dr. Pomfret is stitching me up, several nurses are in the background doing something seemingly important, and Camille is typing on the computer. 

Camille turns to me, "You did amazing!  You only pushed for 9 min!  You are a rock star!"

Shane and the baby come back.  We are together.  I don't know her first name but her middle name is Jane.

Sweet Baby Jane.  

11 comments:

Tyson and Taylor Beaman said...

I love you story! Thanks for sharing! You were right to not get on the pitocin! It is awful! It made my contractions so much worse. She is beautiful and I am so happy for you! Congrats and you are a great mom!

Kera said...

You are amazing!! I made it to a 7 before I got drugs, and I TRULY thought I was going to DIE! I kept thinking, "how do women do this!!!"

Good Job, Jo.

I too remember when when childhood classmates would write "be a mom" on what they wanted to be when they grew up. It always bugged me. I wanted to be a Nurse or an Actress. Ha! My how life has changed.

I cannot wait to meet your beautiful girl!! Thank You for sharing your story!

Kera said...

You are amazing!! I made it to a 7 before I got drugs, and I TRULY thought I was going to DIE! I kept thinking, "how do women do this!!!"

Good Job, Jo.

I too remember when when childhood classmates would write "be a mom" on what they wanted to be when they grew up. It always bugged me. I wanted to be a Nurse or an Actress. Ha! My how life has changed.

I cannot wait to meet your beautiful girl!! Thank You for sharing your story!

Anonymous said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing. You and Shane are pretty awesome :). Cant wait to meet that sweet girl.

Rachel & Darrin said...

Beautiful story, I'm glad you posted it. Birth stories always make me teary-eyed. I'm glad you got to do it like you wanted and that she is happy and healthy!

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

Thanks so much for sharing with us! I love it when moms like you are not afraid to try birthing naturally. I agree with all your comments related to that throughout your story.

I'm glad you got to get in the tub while at the hospital. I bet that's what made you dilate to a 10 faster than anticipated. Once I got in the shower, it helped me get through transition quickly.

The whole ordeal you had with the amniotic fluid levels is something I have not heard of before. I'm glad you ignored those negative thoughts and that you were able to find a more supportive OB. We had to ditch ours when he looked at us and said "What's a dula?" and "I think you should stop worrying about your experience during labor and focus on the result." Luckily, we found a hospital nearby with midwives that are in total support of natural deliveries.

Sounds like the Bradley method really helped prepare you! We are trying hypno-birthing this time. Can't wait!!

Angie said...

Alyssa! This is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. This makes me want to have a baby so bad! It's such a miracle and an amazing experience. I'm so happy for you.

Angie said...

Oh and also, I like that you used the Bradley method, it sounds really great and I am thinking it's the route I will want to go (no i am not pregnant, just preparing). You and I are not so good at the hypnobirthing, "visualize yourself on a beach, rolling in the waves..." kind of thing. Plus I love that Bradley involves your husband so much as a support. It sounds great!

Unknown said...

Alyssa, I know it has been about a decade (or mroe) but Hi and congratulations! I read your birth story, I am a midwife, and can never resist a good birth story! It was beautiful to read and I loved that you were so in tune with your baby all the way through. I wish more women remembered how to tune in to their baby in pregnancy and labour. I also love the fact that you have shared it, it is so important that people know that birth will always be a challenge but it is also amazing and can be joyful sometimes too! Please keep telling your good birth story!! Love and congratulations, enjoy being a mom, Rachel

Rachel said...

Just seen it hasn't published my name in the comment, it's Rachel (was Wild now Yuen) from middle school!

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

You are my hero! It takes serious courage to switch OBs at the finish line like that, but I am so glad you did! I'm so grateful that everything turned out well with your labor and delivery, and most of all that your sweet girl was perfectly healthy. I love that picture of her at the bottom of the post. She is just so beautiful and I'm just still so happy for you!!!

Also, you know how I feel about natural birth and the Bradley Method, so just know that I'm especially in love with your entire birth story :)